You know how every now and again a trailer or a screenshot comes across the screen and catches your eye? I just had one such moment when I watched the trailer for The Long Reach for the first time and rushed over here to make sure I shared the experience. The game immediately reminds me of other video games like Lone Survivor and The Coma. And as our listeners already know, you don't have to try too hard to get me interested in a horror video game.
The game is arriving on Nintendo Switch! (and yes Xbox, PS4, and PC lol) on March 14th for around $20. Here's the quick breakdown from the game's website:
The Long Reach is an intricate adventure, where you solve puzzles, run, and hide. The story takes place in Baervox, fictional American town. The scientific institute designs a revolutionary system of accelerated knowledge transferring. As it usually happens, everything went wrong. Technology went out of control. As an aftermath, Institute, and the whole town turned into a real nightmare, and the experiment participants grew into... well, we cannot tell you that for now, because we hate spoilers! :)
Furthermore, the developers (Painted Black Games) goes on to provide some motivation and extra features.
We wanted to make a meaningful story for the gamers, after completing it, to breathe out: "Wow, I should think it over!", instead of getting into the fridge to take some snacks. Listing all sources of our inspiration is hard. We've taken a little from Matrix, from Resident Evil and Lone Survivor . We've been inspired by The Last Door, True Detective, Fargo, etc. As an aftermath, our narrative designer Evgeni made one hell of a story. In a nutshell, the idea of The Long Reach game is that any progress indirectly leads to unexpected consequences. The consequences that can be terrible. Indeed terrible.
- Magical realism. We’re going for a usual and mundane exposition parts that are trashed and twisted and as the story unfolds.
- Your enemies aren’t faceless zombies or possessed puppets. They are humans whose lives and stories matter and we make sure the player knows that.
- Solo mode for adventure lovers. Control Steward, the junior researcher at the scientific institute. He is an ordinary person who will have to untangle the story, save the world and survive.
- Unforgettable narrative. It is a thrill story, flavored with sci-fi idea, psychological context, and skeptical view on the progress and human actions.
- The Long Reach is the almost 100% classic adventure game but dressed up with a little haunting element.
- More than fifty locations.
- For about twenty main and background characters.
- More than sixty items, which you will have to collect and apply.
- More than 12 000 words in dialogs and script.
- Mad folks will haunt you. There are few of them, but they won't let you relax.
- Handmade pixel art, created pixel by pixel from scratch.
- Original atmospheric music. Our composer's indeed music maniac. He brings strange things into the studio and turns them into the pieces of music. We don't understand what he's doing, but his work can't be overestimated.
- Lots of game platforms: PC, macOS, Linux, Xbox, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch